Wednesday, October 19, 2011

20 Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew

A few years ago I ran across a book that I found so informative. It is entitled "20 Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew". I am the mother of two adopted children and the birth mother of a son that I surrendered for adoption in 1976 and have been reunited with. You can imagine how this book spoke to me. As I was reading I asked my kids, who are now adults, if they felt the things I was reading were true. They all replied yes.

I only wish that I had this book as I was raising my children. This is a must read for anyone going through the adoption process. We tend to think that if we give a child a better life, and love them with all our hearts they will never have a problem growing up. After reading this book I realize my mistake in thinking like that.

Of course my kids are about the best kids on earth, but I do see areas I could have handled differently and where they have issues to this day as a result of being adopted or being surrendered for adoption.

Below you will find some quotes from the book.

"Birthdays may be difficult for me."

"I want you to take the initiative in opening conversations about my birth family."

"When I act out my fears in obnoxious ways, please hang in there with me."

"I am afraid you will abandon me."

As a CASA we have the opportunity to educate pre-adoptive families. Please suggest Adoptive Parents read this book. Their kids will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment